Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Digital Greetings

I planned to publish this article in time for Valentine's Day. Obviously, it's a bit early for Valentine's 2006. Better early than earlier!

The earliest digital greeting card I could think of were those thick Hallmark (?) cards that had a small speaker sandwiched within the card. When the card was opened, a switch was triggered and an electronic tune began playing.

I remember opening one such valentine card sparingly. I didn't want to drain the battery. I thought I could keep the card and the memories until I was 80 years old.

Since then, I've received a lot of digital greetings as technology progressed.
Here's a list of some favorites (not in any particular order):
  • e-mail via PINE. - this was the primitive e-mail we had at the EE department. The closest thing we had to "animation" was a series screens of text characters which "moved" when you scrolled down.
  • My ex-GF (now my wife) made me a voice tape for my birthday with greetings from friends.
  • Text messages
  • Facsimile card! - When I was in Cuyo Palawan, I would write sweet nothings and doodles for my "wis heart" in Manila. I'd write and draw on coupon bond and send it via fax from the main island. (I think much of what she received was unintelligible. But who needs words when hearts kiss?)
  • Maya also reminded me how we used to use her pager to send messages to each other. She held the pager, I would call the operator and send her a message. Nuon, nakakahiyang maging masyadong sweet. Baka ma-bilaukan o matawa o ma-inis yung operator, eh. I'd end with the letters "TOY". The operator always asked what it meant. Secret! Maya could also leave a message for me at the operator. I'd retrieve the message by giving a password.
  • web e-cards - A month ago, Maya sent web e-cards to our pamangkins in Australia. It was all cute, with animation and a butterfly which painted the scenery each time you clicked it. It was a nice lesson for my mother in-law when we showed it to her. It was mama's first time to use the computer, I think.
  • Personalized home made e-cards - When Maya and I sent out our Christmas cards in 2003, we decided to make an online version of the card too. Take a look: Maya and Edwin's Christmas 2003 ekard
  • Animated MMS cards
  • Slideshow Invite - I was invited to a wedding. The invitation was a Powerpoint presentation sent via e-mail. Nice and quaint with the background music and animations.
  • Senti CD - "Langhiya ka! Pina-iyak mo ako!" These are the words I belched out when I spoke to, Clint, a good friend from high school. He came up with a flash animated photo montage of high school photos, set in sepia and the song "Pana-panahon" by Noel Cabangon (did i get the title right?). Watching that photo show brought tears to my eyes. I felt a deep homesickness for high school, a deep longing to re-live those years. Langyang Clint!

Paano man sabihin, basta't mula sa damdamin.

Advanced Happy Valentine's day!

- Edwin

(added april 25 2005)
Read: Audio Blog - Greeting from Christmas Past 1980, OT: I Got Gift Rapped!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the song title is "Buklod". :)

     
  • At 4:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops... mali pa info ko. the song title is "Kanlungan" and the artist is the duo Buklod.

     
  • At 6:43 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Ayos, salamat!

     
  • At 9:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice little history of greetings, I never thought about it in that detail. Things just keep advancing. Now I hear about cell phone animated cards and you can also send greetings through instant messenger with some sites.

     
  • At 11:13 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    thanks john!

    why don't you add some of your digital greeting memories?

    ka edong

     
  • At 10:28 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hehe. Reminds me of furtive over-the-network lurve messages via netsend on Netware 3.11. ;)

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!