Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Techie Lola

[Sequel to Techie Grrrrl]

When I entered our building one morning, there was a lady seated in the lobby, with pepper-grey hair woven in a tight hair-bun, waiting, stooped down, tinkering on something in her palm.

I passed behind her, then saw what she had in her hand. A PDA! Whoa, photo opportunity! Blog opportunity!

I retraced my steps and spoke to Lola (grandma). I introduced myself. I explained that it would be a great if I could take a photo of her and publish it on my website. (For all girls out there, if you hear a proposal like this, just say "NO!") I said it would be "a nice image of a 60 years young lola using a PDA". She obliged.

She introduced herself as Mrs. Chupungco. (I learned later that she was just 74 years young, turning 75). I happen to know one of her daughters, Ana who teaches in Pisay. Then I met another daughter who works in AIM. Mrs. Chupungco was waiting patiently in the lobby with her PDA. Mukhang may ka-date si Lola.

She held the stylus like a pro, jabbing and gliding the stylus on the PDA's touchscreen. She says her daughters teach her about these technologies. It was a Casio PDA, at least 3 years or older. It had some scotch tape at the hinge - perhaps a quick and dirty solution to a cover falling apart. I surmised the PDA was "outgrown" by one of the daughters. I guess this is what is called a "hand-me-UP".

When asked what she uses her PDA for, she said she just plays Solitaire.

Three hours later, Mrs. Chupungco was still there (after their mom and daughter date). Still patiently playing Solitaire. Sabi ko nga in the past na with technology, many Pinoys can be alone but not lonely.

If the editors of Gadgets or T3 or M|Ph find their way to this story, they just might get Mrs. Chupungco for next cover model. Tingin niyo?

Cheers to Mrs. Chupungco, our Techie Lola!

edwin
Technobiography

Read more: Techie Grrrrl, Alone but not lonely

5 Comments:

  • At 8:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ka Edong,

    Thanks for writing about our Techie Mama...it was a cute article...you should see her playing Mah-jong in the PC... =)

    Regards,
    One of her 6 Daughters

     
  • At 1:14 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Hi one of Techie Mom's daughters,

    Nice of you to drop by.

    I wonder when she'll start playing Ragnarok or Counter Strike. Hehehe ;-)

    Cheers!

    ka edong

     
  • At 5:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what PDA is she using?


    david-ruffin

     
  • At 7:09 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    hey bro DR,

    she's using a Casio something. It's all worn out and all. But, it does the job. ;-)

    mabu-hey!

     
  • At 11:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi there.

    came across your site via sassy lawyer.

    aliw this entry. i just had to read it because my former boss (at least 76 y/o) is also into hi-tech pero hindi "hand-me UP". he actually tries to compete with us young ones when it comes to hi-tech. parang magdra-draw ng baril pero Palm PDA and ilalabas. hahaha

    great site. can i link it to mine?

    Aya
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gabrielascrib

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!