Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Blog Why's and Blog OtherWhy's

I don't mobile blog as often as I used to. Mainly for two reasons.

First, my Smartphone, Brosia, has a shortened battery life and mobile blogging shaves away a couple of minutes/hours of power.

Second, Blogger's email-to-blog service is erratic. Sometimes it gets through promptly, sometimes it's delayed for more than a day or two, sometimes the mail bounces. (See Bogged blog bummer).

But now I mobile blog while walking past the dome-shaped Chapel in Greenbelt, Makati as the priest gives his homily.



I just read the cover story of Fortune featuring top ten technologies. And what's at the top of the list? BLOGGING!

The article describes how blogging has become such a powerful and "viral" medium of expression, an opinion democracy. About how a company's product flaw was exposed through one person's blog and forced the company to replace defective products for free.

About how a was percieved by many as "Microsoft listening to customers". Thus, that Microsoft employee's blog (Scobleizer) became a powerful tool for "building relationships" with customers.

It makes me wonder about this blogging hobby I've gotten into. What makes me continue blogging? What keeps me writing?

Let me count the ways.
  1. I enjoy sharing what I learn about technology
  2. It's nice encountering newfound e-friends and getting feedback from them
  3. I like writing my thoughts. It's my journal, my memory bank, my journalistic exercise and sometimes my relaxation
  4. Pressure! HAHA! There! I said it! I sometimes feel pressured when some of my regular visitors come back to technobiography and there's nothing new to read
  5. There is some degree of "influence" I've discovered through blogging. How? That's another story.
I'm thinking about what I wrote back in November when Joey Alarilla of Inq7.net interviewed me about Technobiography. For whom am I blogging?

I started blogging just to blog. But reading about the power of blogging on Fortune (and in other magazines in the past months), I'm starting to think blogging won't be just a hobby for me in the future. I don't know yet what it will be. I'm still feeling my way, writing my way through it... Nangangapa.



So here I am in a jeep in Boni, still thinking. I don't know how I'm going to end this article. How do I end this article?

How about I don't? ...

(To be continued... ? ...)

- Edwin

3 Comments:

  • At 9:45 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    So where's the continuation?
    Pressured ka na ba? I am reading your blog regularly so you better do a follow-up on this! ;)

    Kidding. I know how you feel. But blogging is sooo much fun!

    I don't blog on http://eclair.bizhat.com/blog anymore. The free webhosting of domainstobuy has a server problem sometimes. I moved on to http://clair.pinoyweb.net (my all around blog) and to http://clair.free.net.ph (my somewhat tech blog which is aggregated in the Pinoy Tech Scene of Migs Paraz)

    I love the information you post on your blog:) Especially the things you post about telcos and mobile phones. YOu are very helpful to your readers:)

     
  • At 10:24 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Acccckkkkk! :-p eClair naman, eh!

    coreblog ... looks like it has some of the features i've been craving for that blogger doesnt have: links to recent comments, categories.

    haaayyy ... kelan ko kaya ma-a-outgrow ang blogger?

    edwin

     
  • At 9:39 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mag WordPress ka na rin...
    It's actually got a lot of features and plug-ins. I am still new to WordPress. I am using it on http://clair.pinoyweb.net

    You can tweak around WordPress to get the features you want. Especially if you are familiar with PHP.

    CoreBlog naman is supported by Zope. Zope kasi yung sa http://free.net.ph so I have to use CoreBlog. I am not familiar with the Zope environment so it will take a while for me to customize it.

    Blogger is ok. But I decided to move out of blogger because of the hassle - minsan ang tagal mag-update. may times na triple post ko ang entry kasi hindi mag-update nang ayos... Tsk tsk. At yung blogger entry posting through email minsan botched! *sigh*

    By the way, pwedeng mag-tagboard sa WordPress. I read it on someone's blog. I have yet to try posting to WordPress via email;)

    Wanna check out WordPress? You can give it a test on www.blogsome.com

    An example of a blogsome user is Linuxman http://linuxman.blogspot.com

    Hehehehe. Try mo lang;)

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!