Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Audio Blogs

I've spent 20 minutes online looking for an Audio blog that can handle my "needs". And because I'm such a cheapo, I didn't find any that suited me. (read: "where are the free audio blog services?!")

Oh well, I might as well share with you what I've found and how I'll handle my audioblog needs ....

First, Audioblog.com:
Record over the Web user BlogRecorder™
Supports popular weblog services and tools
Add and configure multiple weblogs
Moblog by phone (up to 60 minutes)
Upload an MP3 or WAV file
Organize your audioblogs with playlists
Customize your player's style and color
More features here
... And last but not the least, not free. Next!

Second, audblog.com:
audblog is a service that provides bloggers with the ability to post audio to their blogs from any phone. At the end of the trial sign up we will provide you with the telephone number...all you have to do is call the number and the world hears you. Use it to make a difference...Use it to make your voice be heard.
... And last but not the least, not free.

Now what! I'm looking for a place to upload audio files of focus group discussions (FGDs) I conducted yesterday. I'm having them transcribed so I'm looking for a way to share them more easily. There are around ten WAV files (I plan to convert them to mp3 first) and the largest file is more than 12 Mb! Turning out to be not easy ( ... uhm ... uneasy?).

So! do you know what i've decided to do? Use a Gmail account to share it! Haha! I'll open a Gmail account and send the username and password to the transcriber.

I haven't done it. I'm doing it in a while. What I plan to do is attach the large files to an e-mail and send it to the e-mail account's self. Will it work? I'll try to update when it works. And, if you're really interested, maybe I could share the account with you.

Post a comment if you're interested. Topic of FGD: m-commerce in microfinance. This is the result of my four weeks doing ACTUAL m-commerce transactions at two microfinance groups in Pagsanjan and Sta. Cruz Laguna.

Mabu-hey!
edwin

(added april 25 2005)
Read: Audio Blog - Greeting from Christmas Past 1980, OT: I Got Gift Rapped!

14 Comments:

  • At 11:54 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    ayos!

    it worked! I uploaded files to my new gmail account. Gmail was able to handle my 2.5 Mb mp3 files. ;-)

    Sheryl from our QC office has downloaded it using their cable internet connection.

    kewl! but not as cool as an audio blog.

    in an audio blog, i'd be able to share audio files with anybody interested (without having to give any login information).

    On the other hand, what i did with gmail was okay because it allows me to control access to the files.

    playing around with technology, making things work ....

    edwin

     
  • At 3:33 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    >From: clair ching
    >Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:21:38 +0800
    >
    >Ka Edong:
    >
    >Now that you are thinking of using Gmail as a repository of files, you
    >might be interested in this link ;)
    >
    >http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000640033887/
    >
    >Ok ba? :)
    >--
    >Clair Ching
    >librarian, bookworm, information gatherer, anime fan, linux newbie
    >http://clair.free.net.ph - blog about linux, emacs planner, tech and culture
    >http://clair.pinoyweb.net - daily journal, stories, miscellany

    hello my e-friend and blog suki!

    neat!

    just might use it. burt that comes after i get myself a wi-fi card for my laptop.

    edwin

     
  • At 3:36 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    One more thing ... I'm please at how Gmail "syncs" with my outlook express.

    I'm able to keep disk-copies of my Gmail messages (both inbox and sent items) on my laptop.

    and it syncs! when i send emails from my outlook, that sent email will also be copied to my web gmail account. neat, huh?

    yung nga lang, i don't get the benefits of the conversations-sorting of gmail.

    edwin

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Outlook is ok to a certain degree... Hehehe. Tell M$ to make it keep conversation threads... ;)

    It's good that you were able to share your files... Parang interested din ako sa files na yan a!

     
  • At 2:22 pm, Blogger Heinz said…

    Hey Edwin, buti it worked. Sounds like an interesting topic. I wanna know more. :)

     
  • At 8:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm...ang ripway.com nakita mo na ba?dito ako nag uupload ng mga mp3's ko e

     
  • At 2:21 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Thanks, sky!

    ginamit ko yung ripway. It worked well, took some time to figure out how it works. Was able to share the files to selected friends.

    I might use it more often to share files in the future.

    Edwin

     
  • At 4:13 pm, Blogger அன்பு said…

    Hi What about this one:
    http://www.yousendit.com/

    This way you no need to share any id/pwd info. also?

    Regards,
    Anbu. S
    lsanbu@gmail.com

     
  • At 8:53 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    I tried out Anbu's referral website http://www.yousendit.com/. It worked quite well for a 600Kb and a 700Kb file. But was not able to send a 2.5Mb file. I tested it using a 56Kbps dial-up.

    It's convenient for no-frills file sending. No need for sender or receiver to register anything. The file will be available for 7 days.

    Try it out: http://www.yousendit.com/

    See sample below. The file is a presentation about global m-commerce trends.

    Thanks, Anbu!

    ka edong

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Your file has been successfully sent!
    We've stored your file on our server and sent your recipient an email with instructions for retrieving it. The file will be available for 7 days or a limited number of downloads.

    Here is a link for your reference:

    http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3L4ZM93H65HFR1397PWOMBH6ET

     
  • At 5:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello! vemsan here.. i regularly visit your blog... (^_^)

    i'm thinking of using the podcasting service mentioned above. i do have a blog in friendster (which is powered by TypePad). Iba pa ba yung TypePad.com sa Friendster's TypePad?? Di kasi ako maka log in even with proper credentials... HELP! thanks!

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger Anton said…

    Vemsam- the typepad service is the same with the friendster typepad service. It is actually a tie up.

    Ka-edong. There are alot of free services out there. For one --> audioblogger.com for your blogger site. Also try ourmedia.org or archive.org for multimedia files.

     
  • At 4:08 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Hi Vemsan,

    Can't log even with proper credentials? it might have something to do with my friend's comment about friendster and the philippines.

    Anton,
    thanks for the input. I did see audioblogger.com before but didn't see the free services. I'll try out ourmedia.org or archive.org some time. ripway.com has done me well so far.

    edwin

     
  • At 9:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ka Edong,

    I'm willing to experiment and host your mp3 files, but I can only give around 20GB of bandwidth per month.

    Your visitors can download the mp3 files, and they can also listen to it in the form of streaming audio.

    (For example, if you visit viloria.com/elfilibusterismo and scroll to the bottom of the screen, you'll find a jukebox player with a few sound files.)

     
  • At 4:34 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Thanks Manuel,

    I'll keep that in mind for the time when the need arises.

    It might be soon: I'm in the process of making some research materials available to the public.

    ka edong

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!