Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Digitally Disconnected ... Not!

I'm not as digitally disconnected as I wanted to be during this ten day sojourn "away from things."

Last night, after wandering the dark drizzly streets of Surigao City, I found myself cozied up in ... (why am I not surprised) ... an Internet café!

I was pleased with my choice of Internet café.

The place was quaint and homey, with dimmed lights and a red sofa at the corner. In the background, Bob Marley was blaring out "Buffalo Soldier". One gamer was seated on a big pillow playing GunBound on a computer atop a small wooden platform.

I was welcomed by a young couple around my age - the owners of the café. They spoke to me in their dialect. Though I didn't understand them, I replied: "Internet. May bakante pa?"

They made space for me. The male owner, Ernest (?), had to peel off his 5-yearold pamangkin from one computer. "Customer, 'day. Tagalog. Usap kamo!" he explained to the frowning little girl.

In the middle of "getting away", I find myself checking mail, checking for comments on my blog and (can't ... sssstop ... ssssself ...) replying!

The fact is, I was rarely unconnected during my trip. I had my mobile phone with me and had a cellphone signal more often than I wanted it.

Thus, I've been able to check my e-mail even while travelling amidst the rolling hills of Malaybalay. Not exactly a feat I'm proud of. If I had stopped myself from getting connected -- THAT would have been a feat for me.

Now I'm in a van criss-crossing the mountains to my next destination while mobile blogging.

So much for attempting to be digitally disconnected.

Read: MoBlogging on Blogger.com

Ka Edong online
Typed on Brosia
Sogod to Tacloban

3 Comments:

  • At 3:35 am, Blogger rL said…

    oo nga, wala na talagang makakatakas... pareho rin sa road trip ko from cagayan de oro to iligan two years ago... i was surprised to see an internet cafe in the middle of a rice field.

     
  • At 7:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hindi tawag dun adik... teka anu bang uri ng trabaho meron ka... prang kung san san ka napapadpad..
    ka edong.. pagbuthin mo pa!
    Mabohay Ka

     
  • At 12:23 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    rl,
    talaga, internet cafe in the middle of a rice field? (maniniwala ba ako sa iyo? wala ka sa lolo ko! heheheh, pisss!). Have you seen barangaywireless.net?

    ivory,
    adik: yan din ang tawag ng misis ko sa akin.
    uri ng trabaho ko? professionally un-employed! mwahahaha! I just graduated last May 1 from AIM-MDM.

    Mabohay tayo!

    ka edong

    quoted from Mr. Kaimo of pldt.com:
    "Mabuhay ang Pilipino!
    Pero hindi lahat "

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!