Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

i.ph – outside looking in

Now, let’s try to verify my knowledge of i.ph . Let’s check which of the perceptions I wrote about are approximately accurate, and which aren’t. ...

i.ph = spiffy layouts

Yup yup yup. Things are spiffy in here. I took a tour of the featured blogs. Well designed interfaces, I might say. You’ll see very well that the templates bloggers started out with were very pretty right from the start. I did notice a lot of material customized by the individual bloggers. I found out from i.ph’s knowledge base that Calliope has a control panel where bloggers can change a handful of properties of their blog such as header style, watermark, header image etc. I’m sure advanced bloggers can do so much more if they get their hands dirty.

Calliope – not foreign, but locally developed

The dictionary meaning of Calliope is "a musical instrument" pala. It has Greek origins. As for Calliope of Dot.ph, it is a locally developed content management software. It has such a cosmopolitan name because it’s being marketed not just here in the Philippines but also in other countries. Goodluck to the marketing team! You have a good product here, from what I’ve seen so far. (But a lot of competition too!)

i.ph for free?

Yes. You can get an i.ph blog for free. What I tried to do was to find out the limitations of a free account. For example, something to the tune of 200Mb blogspace, or some blogging features available only for paid accounts. I couldn’t find that information yet.

What I did find was that i.ph’s FAQs seem to be outdated. Whereas the first half of the FAQs speak of setting up a free account, the second half of the FAQs reverberates with echoes of paid accounts:
How long will it take to register and activate an i.ph domain?
Upon payment, the i.ph domain can take up 8 to 24 hours before it is fully visible across the Internet.
multi-media blogging?

photo blogging? – Check
video blogging? – Check
audio blogging? – Not really.
Theoretically though, you can upload your audio files anywhere on the net and link to those files from i.ph. But I didn’t find anything on i.ph that integrates audio blogging into calliope.

My total score: 3 2/3 out of 4.

What else shall we investigate about i.ph?

What features did I miss?

· Blog integration with other online services such as “Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, ICQ and AOL Instant Messenger, Skype, FWD, Friendster, Tagboard, Links, and MORE...”. I wonder how well Calliope will keep up with the ever emerging and evolving IM’s. For example, will Calliope integrate with Google Talk, too?
· Online tagboard to SMS (a text message to the owner of the blog) – the sender needs to be a registered user of Chikka.com .
· E-mail to blog! Ah, this is something for people like me! I like writing articles on the fly using Brosia, my SmartPhone. I am able to send articles via mobile e-mail. This will work perfectly with i.ph . What’s more, i.ph allows gallery upload via e-mail. I’ll be able to upload mobilephone photos via MMS e-mail to i.ph ! Worth a try. Will write about that in the future.
· There is an announcement about earning through your blog. But it isn’t up and running yet.
· I’ve visited the i.ph forums. I don’t see much activity there.

So how much of i.ph did I know of? Well enough.

That’s me from the outside looking in. After i.ph came out with free accounts, I get the impression that more people started looking into i.ph. Well, at least that’s the attitude I am personally taking.

What’s next?

I’m on the hunt for user feedback. After checking out i.ph from the outside, I’d like to hear what other people have to say about i.ph . Consider this as getting a second opinion. So I’ll be going around, searching for i.ph and non-i.ph blogs, checking out what people think of i.ph . Tignan natin what I find.

Until the next article!

ka edong
i.ph think therefore i.ph am.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:00 pm, Blogger jonasdiego said…

    I do not have a personal knowledge of the inner workings of xoom.com but it certainly looks that way.

    If you have capabilities of making paypal services available to the local netrepreneurs I say off hand that you stand to make a lot of money even if you're just skimming say 10-20% or the transactions made.

    Of course, you'd also be taking responsibility for security and taking the brunt if credit card fraudulence rears its ugly head (but I believe that one can find a solution for this particular problem however).

    I've tried their pay for access system and it works pretty well (except for Globe Cash which may not be available until October).

    There're more tricks up their sleeves, those IPH people. This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg so to speak.

    And if I may be as so bold, I am guessing that that's where the real money will be coming in.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

     
  • At 2:11 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Hi Jonas!

    System integration ang kailangan, eh. I'm thinking of the go between ng PayPal + something local to the Philippines. Pero just thinking, conceptualizing.

    Glad to hear na your pay for content worked. Yung kay Manuel via G-Cash, hindi pa gumagana, eh.

    Salamat din sa pag-bisita. kitakits.

    ka edong
    Mental note for edong: find out if the pay for content payment goes to the blogger entirely. Or if i.ph gets a share of the payment.

     
  • At 3:25 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Ka Edong!

    Google Talk integration - in the works!

    Pay4Access earnings - the user gets it all. For now, at least. We are likely to ask for a very minimal share of the P4A revenue in the future.

    Angelo
    http://jangelo.i.ph

     
  • At 2:59 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    I received this from Angelo this morning:
    "https://www.i.ph/plan_comparison.php

    So there are now only three plans. And we increased disc space and bandwidth for all. :) So even the free plan should be more than enough for the average blogger."

     
  • At 12:09 am, Blogger lws said…

    blog hopping po:)

    nagugustuhan ko na rin ang i.ph dati hindi libre kaya di ko tinuloy ngayong libre na at maganda ang mga features nag sign-up uli ako tutal nagawa kong mag sign up sa blogspot ng 4x at sa bravenet,multiply,friendster d2 pa kaya sa domain ng .ph na libre na at gawang pinoy masarap tangkilikin ang gawang pinoy at pinagbubuti naman nila ang features sana makapag upload na ng music at sana makapagdagdag silla ng smilies na madami sa tagboard ano?

    o cge:)

    cheers!

     
  • At 12:45 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    LadyWhiteSpirit said:
    > kong mag sign up sa blogspot ng 4x at sa bravenet, multiply, friendster

    You sound like a blogging addict, lady white! ;-) . aren't we all? just in different degrees.

    thanks for sharing. watch out for more ...

    ka edong

     
  • At 2:23 pm, Blogger Fritz said…

    Hi bro, balik blogger si http://cynch.i.ph/ per the blogsite's heading. Hehehe.

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!