Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Who the h** wants MY gmail account!!!????

In the wee hours of this morning, somebody tried to get into my gmail account. Who the hey wants MY gmail account!!!????

Who'd be interested in my e-mails, I wonder? Here's how I found out:
(updated March 16)

When I opened my Gmail account this morning, I found this in my inbox:
From: Gmail Team [gmail-support@google.com]
To: ******me*******@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:40:36 -0000
Subject: Re: [#22552***] Google Password Recovery Support
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. You are receiving this message because you
indicated that you are having trouble logging in to your Gmail account.

There are a few common reasons why Gmail users sometimes have trouble
logging in to their accounts. If you cannot log in, please follow this
troubleshooting checklist:
I immediately replied:
From: Edwin S. Soriano [****me****@gmail.com]
To: Gmail Team [gmail-support@google.com]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:52:01 +0800
Subject: Re: [#22552***] Google Password Recovery Support
1.) i did not ask for password recovery assistance in the past two weeks.
2.) I have a personal and a corporate gmail account (which currently forwards to my personal gmail account). Which email account was this password recovery inquiry sent to?
3.) I'm concerned that somebody tried to access my gmail account. Do you have more information about the location/identity of this person trying to access my gmail account?

Edwin S. Soriano
Makati, Philippines
Here's another email I got
From: accounts-noreply@google.com
To: ***me***@hotmail.com
Subject: Google Password Assistance
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:39:35 -0800 (PST)

To initiate the process for resetting the password for your
****me****@gmail.com Google Account, visit the link below
[snip!]

So! I wonder who was trying to access my gmail account? Should I be flattered, like I was when I got blog ispamd? Or should I be alarmed?

Or should I relax? ;-) ... I think I'll do that. It's good for the heart.

Edwin

Want your own gmail account? Get one of your own, let me invite you.

Update March 16


I received a response from Gmail. Below is my latest e-mail to Gmail:
To: Gmail Team [gmail-support@google.com]
Cc: nobody@gmail.com, phish-reports@google.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:45:41 +0800
Subject: Re: [#22552***] Google Password Recovery Support

I was hoping to get information on the computer (IP Address,
geographic location) of the person who tried to access my account. I
guess it's too much to ask for that information from your group. I'll
use the tips you sent. Thank you!

Cheers!

Edwin

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:52:23 -0800, Gmail Team wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your message.
>
> Emails like the one you received are automatically generated when someone
> attempts to use the password recovery link on the Gmail login page with
> your username.
>
> To ensure the security of your account, we suggest that you take the
> following measures:
>
> 1. Change your security question.
>
> - Choose a question only you know the answer to and that is not associated
> with your password.
> - Choose a question that cannot be answered through research (for example,
> your mother's maiden name, your birth date, your first or last name, your
> social security number, your phone number, your pet's name, etc.).
> - Choose an answer that is memorable, but not easy to guess. Your answer
> should be a complete sentence.
>
> 2. Create a unique password.
>
> - Be creative. Don't use words that can be found in a dictionary.
> - Use at least six characters.
> - Don't use a password that you have used elsewhere.
> - Don't use keyboard patterns (asdf) or sequential numbers (1234).
> - Create an acronym. Don't use a common one, like NASA or SCUBA. Don't
> make your password solely an acronym, combine it with numbers and
> punctuation marks.
> - Include punctuation marks. Mix capital and lowercase letters. Include
> numbers.
> - Include similar looking substitutions, such as the number zero for the
> letter 'O' or $ for the letter 'S.'
> - Include phonetic replacements, such as 'Luv 2 Laf' for 'Love to Laugh.'
> - Don't make your password all numbers, uppercase letters or lowercase
> letters.
> - Find ways of getting random letters and numbers such as opening books,
> looking at license plates or taking the third letter from the first ten
> words you see.
> - Don't use repeating characters (aa11).
> - Don't use a password that is listed as an example of how to pick a good
> password.
>
> Tips for keeping your secret question, answer, and password secure:
>
> - Never tell anyone this information and don't write it down.
> - Never send this information by email.
> - Periodically change them.
>
> To change your secret question or password in Gmail:
>
> 1. Log in to your Gmail account.
> 2. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
> 3. Click 'Account Settings.'
> 4. Click 'Password' or 'Secret Question & Answer' under 'Edit Personal
> Info.'
> 5. Click 'Save Personal Info' to make your changes.
>
> Please note that we aren't able to provide you with information about
> attempted logins to your account including, but not limited to, the IP
> address from which the attempted login was made, and the time and date
> attempted logins occurred.
>
> We hope you enjoy Google's approach to email.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Gmail Team

4 Comments:

  • At 4:53 pm, Blogger Tra said…

    phishing - http://www.antiphishing.org/

     
  • At 12:11 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    thanks for the referral, warren.

    i think only the gmail people (or the server robots) would have info on my phisher. I don't have his/her/its info.

    btw, i tried the gmail "report phishing" feature. ang nangyari, i inadvertently reported gmail-support@google.com for phishing! nyarp!

    can't find that "report phishing" feature? in a message, click "options" on the upper right side of the message.

    cheers!
    edwin

     
  • At 12:47 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Knock knock!
    Who is it?

    another attempt at getting in my gmail. 4 attempts in English, and other one in Espayol, could you believe?! It said "Asistencia de contraseñas de Google"

    hmmmm... i'm worried that one day somebody will get into my mailbox. not a nice thought.

    edwin

     
  • At 5:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe someone has a very similar username to yours and can't type it correctly? Or that someone's wife/mistress/mother in law/... is trying to break into your mailbox by mistake?

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!