Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

OT: Ka Edong Explained

When people read my nom de plume, many think I’m an NPA. One time, somebody asked me online, “Ka Edong, kumusta si Ka Roger?”. Another time, somebody said: “Kelan ka pa bumaba sa bundok?”

What’s the story behind “Ka Edong”?

It all started in ’93 when I was part of a ten-day immersion program of the UP Student Catholic Action (UPSCA) in Tiaong, Quezon. I lived there with a farmer, Ka Owell and his family.

I wanted to have a Filipino name. A name that fit well with the community. A name that was not western, a name that was less alienating to the community. Imagine, for example, coming in and saying my name was “Sir Edwin of Shire”.

So I chose a Filipinized version of my name. I chose to be called “Edong”.

“Ka” is a way of addressing people, like “Ginoo” or “Binibini” or “Gat” for Gat Andres Bonifacio.

“Ka” is short for “Kasama” or “Kaibigan”.
Thus, I am Ka Edong.
Ako ay inyong Kasamang Edong.
Ako ay inyong Kaibigang Edong.
More on “Ka Edong” and what that name means to me …. Some other time …Senti yun, eh.

Visit: Kubo ni Ka Edong (not updated since last year)
Google Search my tukayos: Ka Edong, Edong

Ka Edong
Each one of us is unique ... just like everybody else!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    rey: ka ed, well explained. more power and thanks for hosting in our 2nd anniv party. mabuhay ka!

     
  • At 12:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    more power, ka edong.

    at salamat sa "good luck" sa blogging at 3 aspirations. i need it badly. :D

     
  • At 1:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ka Edong,

    we have an Americas Army (the game) clan here in Singapore called [NPA] and our leader is Ka Pepot! my handle is Kumander Ka-Betlog...hehehehe...

    Warren

     
  • At 3:25 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    ka rey,
    it was a pleasure! Ang saya ng Airfagev EB!!!!

    island,
    stay kewl! keep on blogging!

    ka Warren (aka ka betlog)!
    ka-kosa! musta diyan? Ingat sa pag-ne-network gaming. Baka ka ma-wiretap!

    ka edong

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!