Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Meet Kurdapia, My Lap-pi top-p

Kurdapia and friend Brosia lounging around in our home.Let me introduce you to Kurdapia. Kurdapia (nickname “Kurdy”) is the not so new addition to my stable of gadgets. Not so new because I got her back in January 2005. Not so new because she’s been adopted second hand from a used-computer orphanage.

I got Kurdapia through a grant from the MNSoriano foundation. I used Kurdy extensively when I was doing my thesis at AIM. We didn’t have enough funds for a brand new laptop, so I got Kurdapia from a dealer of second hand computers – Tony Unarce at Main Ave., Cubao (tel. 4388622).
Kurdapia’s vital statistics and other features (as of 3 June 2005)
  • Toshiba Satellite
  • Intel Celeron
  • 696 MHz
  • 128Mb RAM
  • 10Gb Hard Disk
  • CD-ROM
  • MSI Wireless LAN card
  • Running Windows XP
  • Office 2003
  • Internet Explorer and Firefox ver1.0.4
  • Windows Media Player ver 10
  • My current desktop image: St. John's Chapel, Melaka Malaysia
  • ActiveSync (for Kurdy to communicate with Brosia my SmartPhone)
  • Skype (for Edong to communicate with Cali, my pamangkin in Sydney)
  • Used in tandem with a 128Mb Astone flashdisk


I brought Kurdapia to Tony last week to have her repaired. Her casing developed a crack because of a faulty hinge. The hinge had been creeeeeaaaaaking painfully eversince I got Kurdapia. But I didn’t think it would result to the casing getting cracked.

Tony told me “lulutuin ‘yan”. And surprise surprise! Tony got the casing back together again.

Kurdapia has been my partner during my thesis. We spent many long nights at the library as I wracked my brains off solving my thesis puzzle. Kurdapia is a late-comer. At AIM, a laptop is considered a very important productivity tool. Personally, it allowed me more flexibility in working where I wanted to and when I wanted to. It allowed me to capture my thoughts in words before it evaporated into my sleep.

Sulit na sulit ang laptop when you’re in AIM. Especially if you have WiFi. I got my WiFi LAN card (huli nanaman) in March. Spiffy! Sarap mag-surf ng net, mag-download, mag-skype all around the place. But … that’s another story.

Kurdapia and another friend Fiona (behind, peeping).That’s my brief introduction of Kurdapia. You’ll hear more about Kurdapia in the future.

By the way, Kurdapia has a new sister (or is it a brother or a boyfriend?). Maya, the president of the MNSoriano Foundation, recently brought home a brand-new all-white Toshiba (see that little white kid peeping in the background in Kurdapia’s picture).

Edwin to Kurdapia, tapping her tired worn-out shoulders:
Tahan na, Kurdapia …. Whitey Fiona is not here to replace you… Friend, ‘yan. Friend …

Papa edong

Read: Brosia AlMighty
Search Technobiography: Kurdapia / Kurdy

10 Comments:

  • At 5:54 pm, Blogger Airwind said…

    kyut naman kasi you named all your gadgets ... ako kaya anong name ko sa mga gamit ko?? hehehe :)

     
  • At 6:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mahusay iyan... merun din aku nyan ka edong, i named it after the chief of SD during NAZI time Reinhard Heydrich
    maligalig pero msaya...
    si Whitey Fiona mas magara.. ang nipis.. ang puti puti..

    aku ay kasalukuyang nagtratrabaho ditu ka edong..

    bukas.. araw ng linggo.. muling akung lilipad patungong Pinas pra magbakasyon..
    masaya ito!

    Mabohay Ka!

     
  • At 8:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how much did you buy your laptop? what are its specs?

     
  • At 10:05 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Airwind, pangalanan mo na, ngayun din!

    Uuuuuy, si IvoRy magbabakasyon! pasalubong! kwento!

    Si Whitey Fiona, di makabasag pinggan. Naghuhugas muna ako ng pinggan ... este ... nag huhugas muna ako ng kamay bago hawakan si Fiona ...

    Hoipst, Reggie! Wala ka talagang finesse. 'Di ka man lang mag "Hi".

    Heto ang sa iyo:
    Si Kurdapia: P23,000 . Specs - mag-basa ka!
    Si Fiona: P85,000 sa HK . Specs - heto, mag-basa ka ulit!

    peace, mga kapatid ;-)

    Chairs!
    ka edong

     
  • At 9:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kindly check with Tricom the local Toshiba distributor kung may stock sila ng AC power adapter ng laptop ni Maya. Minsan kasi walang available stock - order basis pa.

    Nangyari na kay Mrs. Unlawyer 'yan. Tigok na sana yung AC adapter ng Satellite niya: out of stock pa naman sa Tricom. Buti nagawan ng paraan ng technician.

    Another thing: mukhang taga talaga sa presyo si Tricom, based on how much Maya bought her Toshiba in HK!

    Best regards.

     
  • At 4:12 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Hi Paul,

    'Di ko ma-get why you'd want me to contact Tricom re: adapter. Maya's adapter is working fine.

    It's my Kurdapia that has problems every so often.

    Taga ba sa Tricom? I think in general electronics are cheaper in HK. They're closer to the producers (china and taiwan).

    Pero ang sabi: for the price of a laptop in the phils, you can get the same laptop in HK + a good hotel room + good food.

    ka edong

     
  • At 10:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry Ka Edong. Ang ibig kong sabihin ay it might be a good idea to check with Tricom the local Toshiba distributor if they carry in stock the AC adapter of Maya's new laptop, and if mayroon man, to get one as a spare.

    In my experience, hindi lahat ng Toshiba AC adaptor may stock sila, order basis pa man din ang availability, and it takes 30 to 90 days daw to arrive. Nangyari na iyan sa Toshiba ni Mrs.; tigok na yung AC adapter niya pero walang stock! Mabait naman yung tech guys ng Tricom at nagawan ng paraan para umandar uli.

    Thanks for dropping by my site and for the birthday greetings!

     
  • At 2:02 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Thanks for the tip, paul!

    chairs!

    ka edong

     
  • At 1:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello ka edong!

    cutie naman name ni kurdaps,hehehe! namiss ko tuloy laptop, huhuhu! :'( desktop tuloy gamit ko ngayon, hay! :(

    just wondering, anong batch ka sa LB? course? batch '95 ako.

     
  • At 10:43 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    hi barenaked,

    was @ uplb in SY '91-'92. ilag's compound, tsaka catalan (barkada apartment/tambayan). applied physics. o ha! hehehehe

    ka edong

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!