Technobiography

Mobile phones, services and applications. PCs, PDAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Internet, gadgets, electronics, photography. A technology-life journal ... Relaxed prose, sometimes witty, sometimes funny, reflective and insightful. Short and sweet. Filipino.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Hotspot Hunting - Episode III (UP Diliman)

Hotspot Hunting by Ka EdongThis is the first of a three part series on my WiFi Hotspot Hunting experiences. The second and third parts will come out on June 8 and 10.
After Hunting in Baguio for the first time (Episode I) and settling for a cozy hotspot in a metro manila mall (Episode II), here’s how my hotspot hunting in UP Diliman went one drizzly day ….

Discovering the bounty

Last month, I was at my brother’s apartment in Quezon City. I was about to line the wooden floor with some pages of a 10 month old m|ph magazine before stretching out a kutson. But, just when I was about to rip out some pages, an article jumped out at me. It was about wireless campuses. (The pages of m|ph were spared for that night. Apologies to Jim and the editors of m|ph ... but it's always good to reuse and recycle... ;-) )

Other WiFi-ed Campuses
Main reference: m|ph June 2004
  • Ateneo de Manila University
  • De La Salle University - Manila
  • Mapua Institute of Technology
  • The University of Asia and the Pacific
  • University of the Philippines - Diliman
  • Asian Institute of Management (added by Ka Edong; see story)


Ah! Perfect for my (then) new WiFi card on my laptop, Kurdapia! I was going to UP the very next day to do some wall climbing with my AIM classmates. But, that late April gimmick day wasn’t right for hotspot hunting.

Rain or Shine Hunting

It was only until yesterday that I was able to do some hotspot hunting in UP. I brought Kurdapia to UP Engineering building. Enrollment day pala. There were tables at the Eng’g lobby right in front of the library. I got a weak WiFi signal, it was labeled “DILNET”. I was connected but couldn’t load any webpages.

I tried to find a better signal by transferring to the Beta Epsilon tambayan just a few strides away. Negative – zero signal.

I’ll take my e-mailing somewhere else.

As I recall the article, it said that UP Diliman had free and open WiFi access in some key buildings within the campus. The article was written circa June 2004. I recall reading that there were WiFi hotspots in the Quezon Hall, in the Eng’g library and at the computer center.

So I tried my luck at Quezon Hall. It was a drizzly afternoon yesterday so I stayed in the car and drove by Quezon Hall behind the oblation. No signal.

My hotspot hunting came out with nothing. Ah … the joys of hotspot hunting, the thrill of almost getting your target but it gets away.

Mabuti pa yung second hotspot hunting escapade ko sa isang mall sa makati ….

… To be continued … Hotspot Hunting Episode II ….

Check back on Wednesday, June 8 for more hotspot hunting stories and maybe some tips for WiFi beginners.

Ka edong the haunter

p.s. Any UP Diliman WiFi users out there? Any tips on catching the WiFi signal in UP Diliman? Paging Clair Ching…

10 Comments:

  • At 6:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You incorrectly spelled "Mapua" ...

     
  • At 9:09 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    anonymous,

    Thanks for pointing it out. Made the correction.

    ka edong

     
  • At 1:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can try anywhere near the UP Computer Center, there's supposed to ba an open wi-fi hotspot there, all you would need is a dilnet account to access webpages, i believe same goes for the one at the college of engineering. At the CoE building you should try the Geodetic Engineering wing, I've from a friend that they have the entire wing covered with wi-fi

     
  • At 3:57 pm, Blogger MhacLethCalvin said…

    I'm here in Baguio and very much interested with your wi-fi hotspot hunting. I'll check back on June 8 and 10. :)

     
  • At 7:34 pm, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    thanks anonymous for the UP Dil info. The 2004 article i read from m|ph says it's free access. do you mean an outsider without a dilnet login can't access WiFi?

    okidokes, mhaclethcalvin, see you this week on technobiography. baguio hunting story comes out on friday.

    mabu-hey!

    ka edong

     
  • At 11:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, i guess the m|ph article is a bit outdated. from my last conversation with Sir Feria, wi-fi access is only available to dilnet users(which all UP Student/Alumni should have). If anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me :)

     
  • At 3:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! Tingnan mo nga naman. Pati si Ptr Mhac magwa-wifi hunting na rin! ;)

    UP Alumna ako. Hmmm. I wonder kung ma-access ko. But first I must configure Wifi on my laptop :D

     
  • At 12:16 pm, Blogger Lyra said…

    Ey kuya edong, there's wifi in the UP Eng'g Library at 20 pesos/hour. Tapos, right wing (GE area) has wi-fi daw.

     
  • At 7:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, back when the article came out, the words used by Admin was "free wi-fi," with no qualifiers. But things do change.

    Wi-fi now covers much of the campus, but yes you'll need a Dilnet account. More specifically, you'll need a UP Webmail account. I'll probably do some research on how alumni can get one, one of these days.

    I've tried surfing around campus. I had no problems at the College of Business and at Vinzons Hall, but for some reason couldn't connect near the Engineering area. Hmmm...

    Art Ilano
    m|ph editor :)

     
  • At 9:50 am, Blogger Edwin "ka edong" said…

    Thanks for dropping by, Art. Would love to hear about it when you find out how alumni can access the WiFi at UP.

    Mabu-hey!

    ka edong

     

Post a Comment (comments posting disabled)

Technobiography has moved!
Please visit Technobiography's New Home
and update your bookmarks. Salamat!